Homemade pizza is fun! it’s also healthy and you can adapt any pizza recipe to your own taste!
Maybe baking pizza dough is not the quickest process, but after all it’s easy, and if you love pizza it’s worth the effort to find the pizza dough recipe perfect for you based on your personal preference. Even though the basic ingredients for homemade pizza dough are flour, yeast, salt and water, you need to pay particular attention to the process if you want a perfect dough.
To help describing my homemade pizza dough recipe I edited this free instructional video clip:
The recipe below is based on my experience and tastes and my aim was to achieve the style of the pizza served in Napoli, my hometown in Italy.
The recipe makes enough dough for at least 4 pizzas. The time required to work the dough is about 30 mins and the dough should be left to rise naturally for about 2 hours.
-600 gr of flour (ideally a mix of “manitoba” and “00 type flour”, in practice also a pizza-flour product is fine).
-360 gr of still water (25°C)
-25 gr of yeast
-2 teaspoons of honey
-1 teaspoon of salt
-1 teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil
- flat baking sheet
- electric mixer (optional)
1. Mix water (at room temperature) and yeast and let sit for 5 minutes, then stir to dissolve the yeast.
2. Mix flour and olive oil, honey, salt, sugar.
3. Knead using the mixer until the dough feels smooth and elastic, usually about 10-15 minutes (if you don’t have a mixer, you can also mix by hand).
4. Leave the pizza dough to rise naturally until it doubles in size (usually takes about 2 hours).
5. Knead the dough shortly again and divide it into pieces (e.g. 4).
6. Knead again each individual piece shortly and form a round ball of dough.
7. Leave again the balls of dough to rise naturally for 20-30 minutes (you could start turning on the oven in the meanwhile).
8. On a slightly floured baking sheet, flatten each ball of dough with your hands by pressing with your fingertips, starting at the center and working outwards.
9. Add your preferred topping to the flattened dough.
10. Cook the pizza in the oven! I use a pizza stone in an electric oven, the cooking time is usually 6-7 minutes.
I hope this recipe helps stimulating your creativity to come up with your perfect homemade pizza! I’d be happy to see photos of your pizzas so feel free to share them here if you want! here is an example:
Note. I’ll try later on to include also the cooking part in the video